Jack the Ripper Timeline
- Easter Monday, April 1888. Emma Smith, a local prostitute was attacked by a gang of youths at the junction of Osborn Street and Brick Lane. Although she most certainly was not a victim of Jack the Ripper it was with her death that the police opened the file on the Whitechapel Murders, a file that encompassed the killings by Jack the Ripper.
- 5 April 1888. Emma Smith dies of her injuries in the London Hospital
- 7 August 1888. Martha Tabram, another common prostitute was found on a first floor landing of George Yard Buildings. She had been stabbed 39 times and two knives had been used to inflict the injuries she had sustained.
- 31 August 1888. At 3.40am the body of Mary or “Polly” Nichols was discovered in Bucks Row. She is considered by many to have been the first victim of Jack the Ripper and so the timeline should, perhaps begin with her?
- 1st -4th September 1888. The police interview the local prostitutes and are told of a character called “Leather Apron” who has been threatening them for about a year.
- 5th September 1888. The Star newspaper publishes an article about Leather Apron.
- 8 September 1888. Annie Chapman, now acknowledged as Jack the Ripper’s second victim is murdered at between 5.30am and 6am.
- 10 September 1888. Mr George Lusk and a group of local business men form the Mile End Vigilance Committee, to aid the police in their attempts to catch the killer.
- 10 September 1888. John Pizer, whom Sergeant Thick maintains is known as “Leather Apron” is arrested
- 27 September 1888. A letter addressed to ‘Dear Boss” is delivered to the Central News Agency. It is signed JACK THE RIPPER, a anme that will catapult the murders into the ralmof legend.
- 30 September 1888. The killer commits two murder in less than an hour. At 1am Elizabeth Stride’s body is discovered; and at 1:45am Catharine Eddowes is found dead in Mitre Square in the City of London. This brings another Police force, the City Police, into the hunt for Jack the Ripper.
- 1st October 1888. The police release the Jack the Ripper letter and a legend is born.
- 6th October 1888. The Central News Agency receive another letter purporting to come from Jack the Ripper. At the request of the police they do not make its comments public.
- 16 October 1888. Mr George Lusk receives a letter addressed “FROM HELL” and containing half a kidney. Speculation if rife that it was taken from Catharine Eddowes.
- 21st October 1888. A ‘respectable’ woman aged 21 named Maria Coroner is charged in Bradford with sending letters signed Jack the Ripper. She is the only one of the hundreds of Jack the Ripper letter writers to be prosecuted.
- 9th November 1888. 25 year Old Mary Kelly is murdered in Dorset Street Spitalfields. It is generally accepted that she was the last victim of Jack the Ripper.
The lore of supernatural beings in Ireland is unlike that of the rest of Europe in one very important respect: spirit powers in the Emerald Isle have been endowed with names and personalities.
- THE WORKS OF EDGAR ALLEN POE: Here’s a link to all his stories and poems. His macabre and dark approach to writing has touched many across the globe
- THE WORKS OF H.P LOVECRAFT: Another gothic writer whose style is both suspenseful and vivid
- THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW: Another classic, beware of the headless horseman
- THE TURN OF THE SCREW: A tale about a governess who becomes convinced that she and her charges are being stalked by ghosts.
- THE MONKEY’S PAW: You probably have heard of this one. Be careful what you wish for.
- THE LOTTERY: It might not seem like a horror story, but once you realize what’s happening you will definitly be horrified. If you don’t understand here’s a site that will clear some things up
- WHERE ARE YOU GOING, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN: About a 15 year old girl’s encounter with a threatening but charismatic stranger. A popular dark tale.
- THE SIGNAL MAN: By Charles Dickon’s, a railroad worker tells the story of a ghost that seems to appear to him as a premonition of some horrible railway tragedy
- THE MORTAL IMMORTAL: Mary Shelley may have been known for Frankenstein, but here’s another dark tale by her. It’s the story of a man who wants to play God, but finds his sanity is the price
- THE WOMAN IN BLACK: You probably have heard of the movie, but read the classic story behind it. Whenever she is seen, a child dies.
BONUS: Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: I read this for my Gothic Literature class in high school. I loved it. A dark novel with plenty of twists to keep you on the edge.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Masterpost of Gothic Novels
ITS ONLY MONDAY
Dear John is a terrible movie.
The name itself says it will have a horrible ending.
Do any of you know what a “Dear John” letter is?
u ever text someone something risky and every second that they dont respond is another spike in ur blood pressure and u stare at your hand like why did u type that u fool its over the universe is crumbling to pieces this is my demise
DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND.
Pedigree is on a nationwide recall.
Pedigree made my 6 month old puppy too ill to eat anything for days.
If you have this brand please toss it and buy Purina, Science Diet, or Blue.
Please do not feed this to you animals.
Do not buy this brand.
Fake pockets aren’t really fake.
Most of them are just sewn shut. Just rip out the top seam, and boom! Real pockets!
THIS IS A THING. It happens on pants, but it’s also completely standard on suit jackets. Gotta rip the temporary stitches out!
I once had a drunk guy tell me I was too sexy to be shooting up at a party. He knocked the needle out of my hands and stepped on the pen, shattering the casing, telling me I should thank him by giving him my number and a kiss. It was my diabetes medicine.
(submitted by anonymous)
ITS LIKT A FUCKINF VACCUMM
IT’S 3 AM I DIDN’T NEED THIS LAUGHTER
I have incorrectly been saying ‘burqa’ when I meant ‘niqab’ for maybe my whole life.
reblogging for informational purposes. i will come collect you if you reblog from me in a way that disrespects any of my sisters.
educating yourself on other cultures is v important
ATTENTION: SIGNAL BOOST THE SHIT OUT OF THIS RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT OK I HAVE FOUR DOGS AND I WOULD KILL THE BASTARD WHO TRIES TO HARM THEM OR ANY OTHER ANIMAL. SIGNAL BOOST PLEASE.
NOBODY DESERVES TO HAVE THEIR LITTLE CREATURES OF HAPPINESS KILLED
THIS IS HORRIBLE. I HAVE TWO FUCKING PIT BULLS AND ALL OF MY NEIGHBORS OWN DOGS. THIS IS FUCKING HORRIBLE AND MUST BE STOPPED. SIGNAL FUCKING BOOST THIS SHIT.
“According to Greek mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs, and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus split them into two separate beings condemning them to spend their lives in search for their other halves.”
~Plato’s The Symposium.
How many times will I reblog this? “Always.”
We did it at school. The myth also says that the pairings could be male/female, male/male or female/female (just sayin’)
sometimes you don’t need to find someone else
Guards: Oh no. Wait. Stop. No. Don’t steal those. Get back here, you criminal. (Pfft! Can’t believe they’re falling for it!)
I read that in a sarcastic voice
why is this so funny?